The HS4 software allows for the automatic creation of backups, so that at any time you will have a current restore point for your system. The instructions below will walk you through setting up recurring backups as well as downloading them for safekeeping.
Scheduling Automatic Backups
- Navigate to Tools > Backup/Restore. You will see the page in the screenshot above.
- Click the checkbox for Auto Backup. The check boxes for the days of the week will no longer be grayed out and can then be selected.
- First, select a time for HS4 to automatically backup your software. You will want to pick a low-use time of the day, like late at night or early in the morning.
- After a time has been selected, click the checkbox for the day(s) of the week you would like to have backups created.
- Adjust the Max Backups field based on how many backups you would like the system to store. The oldest backups will be deleted in the order they were created as new ones are made.
- Finally, click Save, and your auto backup schedule has been created!
Retrieving Your Automatic Backups
Creating a backup of your system is an important step in having a fully functioning system and keeping it functioning. Automatic local backups will help ensure that you always have current backups, but will remain on the system itself unless downloaded manually or uploaded to the cloud using a Premium MyHS subscription. The instructions below will walk you through downloading your backups to your computer.
- Navigate to Tools > Backup/Restore.
- Click on the Restore button, and the dialog box to the right will appear.
- Click the Select Date field and a calendar will appear, where days when backups were created will be highlighted. Click the most recent date.
- You will then see a list of any backups created on that day, along with a Download button. Click this, and that backup will be saved to the computer you are using to connect to HS4 with.
Backup Save Location
If you have HS4 installed in a custom installation, you can change the save location for backups very easily by typing in the desired folder address. The default save location on Windows is C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\backups, while it is /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/backups on Linux. If you are using a HomeTroller, it is not recommended to change the default save location for backups.