This guide will assist in upgrading your Zee S2 or Pi software from HS3 to HS4. If you've been automating your home with HS3 on Windows and have purchased an upgrade to HS4, thank you for your patronage! The instructions below will walk you through installing HS4 on your PC. If you run into any questions or issues, please reach out to us here.
NOTE: If you are upgrading from HS3, make sure you have your HS3 license ID and password, you will need this when registering HS4. If you don't have them you can request them from here.
NOTE: If your Zee S2 or Pi system has a micro SD card with 8GB of space, you may experience issues. Not all 16GB cards will be large enough to complete either. If you upgrade to HS4 and are unable to access the web interface, please check the size of your micro SD card. A 32GB micro SD card will work without issue.
NOTE: If you have problems with the procedure below or would like to do a CLEAN install, jump to the clean install section of this doc.
To prepare for the upgrade procedure, first make sure your Zee S2 or Pi software is updated to version 220.127.116.111. You can do this in Tools→Setup→General.
Export your events from the Labs tab in Seup. Normally, events import fine into HS4 but if you get errors you can manually import this file from the Labs tab in HS4.
It is recommended that you keep your Zee S2 within reach during the upgrade as the notification LED will let you know what process the unit is at during the upgrade.
Blue = file operations
Yellow = system upgrades
Green = good to go
When you visit find.homeseer.com while local to your system, you will see the system's name as well as a Maintenance link.
Note: Find.HomeSeer.com may be cached and still pointing you to /php/Main.html. Try changing Main.html to Main.php
Note: Find.HomeSeer.com will not detect HomeSeer software if using a VPN.
Version 1.3 of the maintenance page (911) has some new features such as the ability to update your Zee S2/Pi to HS4. The 2 step process will create a backup of your existing HS3 setup and install HS4.
On the Main page, there are three new bits of information to help you during the upgrade or if you’re working with support. Below is an example of the HS4 Pi image.
Linux Version: shows the version of your OS. Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, or Buster.
Mono Version: Common versions: 3.2.8, 4.5.1, 5.18 or 6.8. You want this to be 5 or higher after step 2.
HS Version: shows HS4 once you complete step 3.
Once you have your Zee S2 nearby, navigate to find.homeseer.com and select Maintenance next to your system. You will see the new Maintenance page with an updated look, feel, and options. Select Upgrade in the Upgrade to HS4 section of the Main page.
Step 1: Backup HS3
Select Backup under Step 1 to backup your HS3 system. It is not recommended to skip this step.
This step will create a backup of your current HS3 folder and allow you to download the backup once finished for safe keeping. You can expect output on the page once the backup is complete. If no output is visible, the backup did not work and should be run again. Once the backup is complete you will have the ability to download your backup for safe keeping. This backup is what is used if you choose to revert back to HS3 via Restore HS3 Backup. This backup cannot be used to restore within HS3 or HS4 interface.
Step 2: Install HS4
Select Install under Step 2 to perform the last step of the upgrade.
This step will upgrade your system to HS4. Your devices, events, plugins, and settings will carry over to HS4. The process should not take more than 5 minutes and your system will reboot once completed. The Zee S2 notification LED will turn green once rebooted and HS4 is running/accessible.
You can expect output on the page once the upgrade is complete. If no output is visible, the install did not work and should be run again. If the install fails, it is recommended that you try it once more and if it still fails, save the output and contact HomeSeer support.
Note: If you are having trouble viewing devices in HomeSeer Mobile, make sure the user you are logging in with, typically MyHS, is added as a User in HS4.
Reverting to HS3
To restore your previous HS3 system, click restore within the Restore HS3 Backup section.
This process will update your system if you have issues with HS4. Your system will have it’s packages updated but not the entire OS distribution. The primary package being upgraded is mono. If you are on mono 3.2.8 or 4.5.1, you will more than likely need to run this. Systems running 'wheezy' or 'jessie' will get mono 5 and systems running 'stretch' or 'buster' will get mono 6.
You can expect output on the page once the upgrade is complete. This output is saved to a file locally. It is recommend to save the output if you do not get confirmation that the update worked. If no output is visible, the update did not work and should be run again. This process very well may take a while. Older systems will have a lot more to upgrade and can take up to 30 minutes.
Clean Upgrade to HS4
This procedure will reformat your SD card that is in your Zee S2 and re-install the Linux operating system. It will also install HS4. This is a factory reset and will give you an HS4 system that is identical to what is shipped from the factory. All data on your system will be lost so make sure you follow this procedure exactly so you do not lose any data. Note that this procedure will restore your data such as your devices, events, and scripts, and system configuration such as plugin configuration data. It will NOT back up your plugins. When you start HS4 for the first time you will need to re-install your plugins. However, all plugin configuration data will be restored so you will not need to reconfigure your plugins.
Note: This procedure requires an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard. A USB mouse is optional. A TV can be used if a monitor is not available.
- Update your Zee S2 to build 551, do this from Setup, General tab. This is required as it will update the system with a new restore file.
- After HS3 551 is running, go into setup and select the Backup option to backup your data. This will prompt you to download a zip file once the backup is complete. This file will be downloaded to the system where your browser is running. Save this file in a safe place as you will need it later when you restore your data to HS4. Do not unzip this file.
Restore Option 1
This procedure will restore your system by reformatting the SD card in your Zee and will download a new operating system. Your Zee must be connected to the Internet.
Note: If you are an advanced user and would like to install a larger SD card, you can use the Option 2 procedure.
- Attach an HDMI monitor to the HDMI port on your Zee and plug in a USB keyboard and mouse to the Zee's USB ports. Make sure no other devices are attached to any other USB port. Other devices may cause the restore to fail. If you do not have a USB mouse, the keyboard alone can be use.
- Power cycle your Zee and you should see a display that asks you to hold the SHIFT key to enter restore mode. If the restore mode does not start, power cycle the unit again and tap the shift key multiple times while the system starts.
- Once on the restore screen check the box next to the HS4 restore option. Only check ONE option. You can use the tab key on the keyboard to navigate and the space bar to select, or a mouse.
- Click on the Install icon or press "i" on the keyboard to start the install. Progress will be displayed on the screen.
- Once the install is done restart the system and locate HS4 using find.homeseer.com from a web browser.
- You will be brought to the registration screen. Enter your HS4 license and follow the prompts to complete.
- You can now restore your data. Click on the menu "Tools" then "Backup/Restore", which displays the backup/restore page.
- In the Local section click on the "Restore..." button, this brings up the restore dialog. Click on the "Upload Backup.." button and browse to the zip file you downloaded earlier from HS3. This will restore your data.
- Close the restore dialog and then click on "Devices" on the toolbar and verify that all your devices are available. Do the same for Events.
- Now click on the Plugins menu then Add to add your plugins back.
Restore Option 2
This option is for advanced users who want to upgrade their SD card to a larger size, or maybe you want to save your existing SD card and install HS4 on a new card. The SD card needs to be 8 GB or larger. The unit was shipped with either an 8GB or 16GB card. 16GB or larger is recommended.
- Download the restore boot zip file from here: https://homeseer.com/updates4/zee_pi_install.zip
- Format your SD card in a PC as FAT32
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy all of the files to the SD card
- Remove the 4 screws from the bottom of your Zee to get access to the SD card slot. Remove the current card and insert your new card.
- Now go to step 1 in Restore Option 1 to complete the