This integration allows HomeSeer users to control their devices and device features with simple commands using Amazon's Smart Home skill API. This implementation supports ON, OFF, DIM and THERMOSTAT devices for direct control and users can create Routines to control other devices with custom phrases.
Voice Command Syntax Samples
- “Alexa, turn off the kitchen light”
- “Alexa, set the thermostat to 65 degrees”
- “Alexa, dim the porch light to 50%”
- "Alexa, open the garage door" (Routine)
- HomeSeer HS4 System (HomeTroller or computer running HS4 software)
- MyHS Remote Access Service
- Amazon Alexa-powered device(s) (Echo, Fire Tablet or similar)
You'll need to add a user account to your HS4 system with your MyHS credentials and you'll need to enable Admin and Local permissions to this account. Once that's done, you'll need to enable voice commands for the HomeSeer devices or device features you wish to control with Alexa. Follow these steps to set this up:
- Open your HomeSeer system's web interface and navigate to Setup > Users. Add a new user with your MyHS account credentials. Enable Admin and Local permissions.
- Devices must be manually enabled for voice commands in order to be discovered by Alexa. In HS4, it's possible to enable root devices or features. To enable voice commands, navigate to the settings for the root device or for the feature, and tick the Voice Command Enabled checkbox:
Use the guide below to determine which method is best for your specific devices and then check the Voice Command Enabled checkbox in the settings for the root device or for the feature(s). Use the appropriate option below depending on the type of device you wish to control.
- Enable Root Devices - use this option for devices that have only one controllable feature.
- Enable Features
- Additionally, you will only want to enable voice controls for devices which have On/Off, dimmable, or thermostat devices. For example, in the node below, only the feature Back Lights has voice control enabled, as indicated by the microphone icon next to its name. For information on how to do this, please see our guide on Bulk Editing Devices.
Pairing HS4 and Alexa
Now that HS4 and its devices are set up to be seen by Alexa, the two can be paired together!
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device or visit alexa.amazon.com from your web browser and sign in if you aren't already.
- Click or tap Skills or Skills & Games and search for HomeSeer. You will find two skills available, please click here to learn about their differences. Both skills can be used at the same time.
- Select one of the two skills and click Enable. You will be brought to a MyHS login page, enter your credentials and click Log In.
- After successfully logging in, close the login window and click Discover Devices.
- Alexa will take a moment to find all the devices it can and bring you to a list of them once it is complete. You are now ready to start issuing voice commands!
Adding More Devices
After pairing HS4 and Alexa, it is easy to discover new devices you have added to HomeSeer. While viewing the Devices page in your Alexa app, simply drag and pull down to refresh the connection and new compatible devices will appear. You can also go to alexa.amazon.com, go to Devices, then click Discover.